THE FOUNDATION OF THE FAMILY
Passage: Ephesians 6:1–4
The Big Idea
God intentionally created the family to be the foundational environment to cultivate healthy relationships with God and others.
- God placed you in your family on purpose.
- Being a parent is not easy, but it is worth it.
- Being a child is not easy, but it is worth it.
- Don’t exasperate your kids; equip them.
The Bottom Line
A strong foundation within the family creates a legacy for generations.
Life Group Discussion Questions
- Take a few minutes to share about your family and your parents. Read Ephesians 6:1-4
- How does a child “honor” his or her parents? Does “honor your father and mother” look different now compared to when you were younger? Why or why not?
- Why did Paul mention that this commandment has a promise attached? Why is that so important for us to know?
- Ephesians 6:4 tells fathers (parents) what the priority is in parenting.Share a time when your parenting missed the mark. What was the result? Share what you do, have done, or will do to equip/train your child.
- If you feel comfortable, share an attitude or action that you will adjust in order to grow as a parent (or as someone who is in a position of influence over children).
Pray for each topic that was shared and continue to pray for them in the week(s) ahead.